- Chicago Manual of Style’s FAQ.
- The Elements of Style by Strunk & White.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing—Charles Darling’s guide.
- Common Errors in English—a compendium.
- Resources – Health Sciences Writing Centre—University of Toronto.
- U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual
- The Yahoo! Style Guide—writing, editing, and creating content for the digital world
- Toolkit for New Medical Writers
Dictionaries and Reference Guides
- Merriam-Webster OnLine—The publishing industry standard.
- One Look—Searches many online dictionaries and a couple of acronym databases.
- Bartleby links to an array of online reference volumes.
- TechWeb—an encyclopedia for technical terms.
- Webopedia—an encyclopedia of technical terms.
- ReferenceChecker—a program that checks all the name/date-style references in a document.
- University of California Berkeley — Common mistakes in student papers.
Of further interest to editors
- Editing for the Web.
- Copyediting – Subscription newsletter.
- The Editorium—important newsletter for editors presented by Jack M. Lyon. Editorium is geared toward mastering Microsoft Word and other contemporary editing programs.
- Electric Editors—a British-based group with discussion lists and free macros for Word and WordPerfect.
- General and Multiple Subject Publishers—listing of various categories from ClickInks.com
- Testy Copy Editors – Message board geared toward newspaper copy editing.
- The Slot – Overview of newspaper copy editing and style points from a Washington Post copy editor.
- Copy-Editing Corner – For copy editors to gather and discuss topics.
- Editing: EServer TC Library – A collection of 100+ online resources about editing.
- Yahoo Groups: Copy Editors – Discussion group for copy editors in journalism.
- Editor and Publisher—for newspaper industry news.
- John Bremner Editing Test – Quiz with answer key from the legendary University of Kansas professor.
- Google Ranking Factors – SEO Checklist
Associations, Forums, Societies, and Networks for Editors and Writers
- American Copy Editors Society (ACES)—a resource for copy editors in journalism.
- Editorial Freelancers Association—a professional organization of self-employed workers in the publishing and communications industries. Based in New York City, EFA has nationwide membership of editors, writers, indexers, proofreaders, researchers, desktop publishers, translators, and others who offer a broad range of skills and specialties.
- National Association of Science Writers
- San Diego Professional Editors Network (SDPEN)
- American Medical Writers Association — Continuing education programs and self-study.
- Boston University – Master of Arts and Doctorate in editorial studies. Editorial Institute.
- California State University Chico — Certificate in Literary Editing and Publishing.
Media Alliance—Classes in editing, writing, and computer applications related to publishing.
- Mediabistro.com – Online and classroom courses for editors, writers, television producers, graphic designers, book publishers, television, radio, newspapers, book publishing, online media, advertising, public relations, and graphic design.
- EEI Communications – Online courses in grammar, editing, proofreading, business writing.
- Thieme – STM (scientific, technical, medical) publisher offers internships with hands-on publishing experience in the areas of editorial, production, marketing, sales, accounting, and Internet and information technology.
- UC Berkeley Extension’s – Four-course sequence in editing is for working editors who need a concentrated program to acquire additional skills, those who want to make a transition into editing, and those who want to enter the publishing field as editors. A certificate is awarded upon completion.
- University of California San Diego – Copyediting Certificate
- University of Chicago Graham School of General Studies — Certificate programs providing professional credentials in editing and in medical writing and editing.
- University of Washington courses in Technical Writing and Editing.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Graduate School – Certificate program in editing and publishing that includes theoretical practices, hands-on editing, proofreading, and indexing.
- Yale University – Course in Publishing.
- Bookbuilders West Jobs Bank
- Copyeditor.com—searchable jobs board.
- Editor and Publisher classifieds page.
- National Fellowships for Copy Editors – Institute for MidCareer Copy Editors
Of specific interest to writers
- United States Copyright Office Copyright your work.
- Bowkers Obtain ISBN numbers
- The National Writers Union. Peek at NWU Writer Alerts, the instructive mini-hall of publishing scam artists who have contracted with writers but did not pay them.
- The Publishing Law Center.
- Writer Resources from Midwest Book Review.
- The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America offers cautionary tales for writers.
- Writers-Network.Com publish your poetry for free
- eArticlesOnline.com Article Directory Free content for websites and ezines
- Write and Publish Your Book How to write a book, publish it, and market it.
- Scriptwriter Central Hollywood insider shares little-known secrets for screenwriters.
- Writers Remember Encouragement for writers.
- Authorlink.com All about books, publishing, agents, and authors.
- Net Author Reference site for authors
- How to Edit Your Own Writing – Detailed 11-point self-editing checklist.